Teaching and Research Experience
- Teacher of physics and math., secondary schools of Iraq, 1934-1937, and 194l-1944
- Assistant Meteorological Officer, Bassrah Airport, Iraq, 1937-1941
- Research Associate, then instructor, M.I.T., 1946-1948
- Assistant Professor, M.I.T. 1948-1949
- Professor and Chairman, Dept, of Physics, Higher Teachers College, Baghdad, Iraq, 1949-1952
- Visiting Scholar, New York University, 1952-1954
- Visiting Research Professor, New York University, 1954-1955
- Chairman, Department of Physics, Higher Teachers College, Baghdad, 1955-1958
Administration and Education Experience
- Secretary General, University of Baghdad, 1958-1959 President, University of Baghdad, 1959-1963
- Senior Visiting Scientist, National Center for Atmospheric Research, 1965-1966
- Iraq Government Scholarship, 1930-1934
- U.S.A. State Dept. Scholarship, 1944-1946
- M.I.T. Scholarship, 1945-1946
- Invited Lecturer, A.M.S., Visiting Foreign Scientists Program, February-April, 1961
- Sigma Xi, M.I.T. Chapter
- American Met. Soc.
- American Geophys. Union
- Royal Mat, Soc;
- American Association for Advancement of Science
- Internl. Geophys. and Geodesy
- Internl. Limnology
- Phys. and Math. Soc. of Iraq
- Arabic, Mother language
- English, Reading, writing, and speaking
- French, Reading
- German, Reading
- A Text Book of Physics for Secondary Schools, 2 vols., Baghdad, 1947, and revised 1953. Co Author.
- A Glossary of Meteorology, Baghdad, 1942.
- Measurement of Upper Winds, Baghdad, 1943*
- Theory of Sound-A Text Book for College Students, Baghdad, 1955.
- Atomic and Nuclear Physics, Translated from English with Additional Appendix, Baghdad, 1962.
- Group Velocity of Atmospheric Waves, Sc.D. Thesis, M.I.T., 1946.
- Billow Groups, Annals of the New York Acad, of Science, Vol. 48, 1947, p 744.
- Wave Motion at the Surface of a Current Which Has an Exponential Distribution of Vorticity, Annals of the New York Acad, of Science, vol. 49, 1948, p 469.
- A Problem in the Rotation of Fluids; Bull. A.M.S., vol. 28, 1948, p 469.
- On the Wave Theory of Cyclones; Bull. A.M.S., vol. 29, 1948, p 284. Cyclogenesis by a Purely Mechanical Process; Jour, of Met., vol. 6, p 86, 1949.
- Effect of Friction on Atmospheric Disturbances; Bull. A.M.S., vol. 30, 1949.
- The Band-Like Structure of Hurricanes; Bull. A.M.S., vol. 34, 1953, p 86.
- A Proposed Mechanism of Squall Lines, The Pressure Jump Line; Jour, of Met., vol. 10, 1953, P 298.
- A Note on the Periodicity of Some Frontal Precipitation, Jour, of Met., vol. 10, 1953, p 228.
- The Eye of the Hurricane, New York University Met. Papers, vol. 2, No. 2, Part I, 1953.
- The Vibrations of the Hurricane; NYU Papers, Vol 2, No. 2, Part II, 1953
- A Note on the Tilted. Trough Model, J. Met., vol. 11, 1954, p 249.
- A Proposed Mechanism for the Development of the Eye of a Hurricane, Jour. Met., vol. 11, 1954, p 189.
- The Meridional Growth of a Squall Line, Jour. Met., vol. 11, 1954, p 301.
- Some Aspects of the Dynamics of Tornadoes, Month. Weather Rev., vol. 83, 1955, p 83.
- The Atmospheric Solitary Wave, Bull. A.M.S., vol. 36, p 511. 1955.
- A Severe Duststorm in Iraq, Beitrage zur Physik der Atmosphere, vol. 29, 1956, p 21.
- A Note on the Atmospheric Solitary Wave, Jour, of Met., vol. 13, 1956, p 381.
- The Rate of Transport of Mechanical Energy by Waves of the Westerlies, Proc. of the Iraqi Sc. Soc., no. 1, 1957, page 20
- The Atmospheric Breakers, First Scientific Congress of the University of Baghdad, 1961.
- Head-on-Collision Between Two Pressure Jumps, Jour, of Geophys. Res., vol 71, 1966, p 1953.
- The Musical Sound Emitted by a Tornado, Mon. Weath. Rev., vol. 9b, 1966, p 213.
- The Spiral Bands of a Hurricane-a Possible Dynamic Explanation, Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 23, 1966, p 367*
- A Note on the Square Cloud, Jour, of Atmos. Sci., vol. 23, 1966, p 445.
- The Stratification of Cloud Layers in a Stable Atmosphere.
- Waves of Finite Amplitude in a Stratified Incompressible Atmosphere- A Quasi-Characteristic Method.
- The Pre-Warm Front Pressure Jumps.
- Editor-in-chief, Proc. of Iraqi Sci. See., 1957-1962